Running

Running

Thursday, October 10, 2013

16 days, a cocktail of drugs and 3 amazing men...

Its been 16 days since my knee surgery to fix my torn PCL and resurface the end of my femur.
Things did not go quite as planned and I ended up being away from blogging MANY more days than I had anticipated. A LOT has happened during the last 16 days and it seems almost impossible to catch up on writing about all of it...but...I am going to start with today and as days go by recap on particular things that happened that I think are important, funny, memorable, or embarrassing (hey, if you can't laugh at yourself, life is going to be awfully miserable) that either I need to remember or that you might enjoy reading!

I am noticing that I have good and bad days in a pattern. Currently that pattern is every other day. So I have a good day, followed by a bad day, followed by another good day. I am still in a lot of pain (16 days later...I know right, I was surprised too) and am still taking a cocktail of drugs to get me through the days and nights. On a positive note, my kids find me more fun to be around and heck, I find I enjoy my company a little more while on narcotics as well. Negative note, no driving for this lady! It does bother me, but thank GOD for the BEST nanny in the world who drives me anywhere I need/want to go, which usually isn't far from the house since I am still feeling pretty crummy.

(Here we are on a trip to my favorite grocery store 9 days after surgery. 
I was still very bloated from all the IV fluids I received during my hospital stay.)

Recapping basic info about the past 16 days: I did have surgery on September 24th, 2013. I was anticipating 1, perhaps 2 nights in the hospital. I spent 6 days! Although the surgery went as planned, I had some issues with a numb foot that the doctors couldn't figure out (I kept telling them this happened to me in 2007 with my last knee surgery, but they had to be sure for themselves). I couldn't leave until that was sorted out and then there was the pain management. My pain was unbearable and they had quite the time trying to get it under control. When they finally did, I was so thankful (another blog post being written about this in the near future).

Probably the worst thing that happened while in the hospital, not in regards to my health, but for the life of this blog, was that my phone quit working and somehow erased over 1000 images, many being those I had taken during my time in the hospital to document my journey. Sooooo, needless to say, almost every moment I caught on camera while I was in the hospital, is gone. Boo!

I had my second follow-up appointment with my surgeon, the physician's assistant and the nurse yesterday (they work really well as a team and you always see all three of them when you go for your appointment). I got my stitches out for the incision used for the camera. The other three incisions have stitches on the inside and will dissolve over months. I also got cleared to go back to work next week (that makes 3 weeks out of work...yikes). I still am non-weight bearing on my left leg, however I am managing well on the crutches.

 My four year old and I worked on thank you gifts for the three most amazing and important men in my life at the moment. We gave them their little gifts at my appointment yesterday. Nurse Tom is Yuvia's favorite (she has a crush)!

 (Little gift bags full of candy)


 
 (The little note included with the bag of candy)


 (Nurse Tom)


(My surgeon and physician's assistant)


I am only 16 days post-op during my year of NO RUNNING...so much has happened already, I can only imagine whats next...

2 comments:

  1. Your hair is soooo long!!! Love that Yuvia's crushing on Nurse Tom. Worst part is (hopefully) over, doing amazing so far!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, I could really use a cut and color...thinking I might splurge and go for it! :) I am hoping the worst is behind me, however I have MONTHS of rehab that I have a feeling is going to be a BEAST!

      Delete