Running

Running

Thursday, September 19, 2013

...nothing that you, me and a gallon of ice cream can't solve.


I woke up to a dreary, sad morning of thunderstorms. I was immediately disappointed because I wanted to walk my daughter to school and with the torrential downpour this was going to be impossible. 

(Wet, wet, wet morning view from my front door)

As we left the house to make the mile drive to school my 4 year old offered me her Dora The Explorer umbrella to use. In an instant I went from feeling bummed about not being able to walk to school to being thankful for the little things...the ability to hold an umbrella while walking.

(Here I am in action with the Dora umbrella)

This led me to think about all the other little things I need to be thankful for...of course the list is way to long to list in a blog posting, but here were just a few that crossed my mind this morning while doing the day to day stuff...

*Kneeling on the floor to iron (I have a standard size ironing board, I am just too lazy to get it out every morning) .


*Stepping in and out of the shower unassisted
 

*Walking into work holding an umbrella in one hand and carrying coffee in the other or just simply being able to carry coffee.



*Carrying laundry baskets

 


 *Carrying packages into the post office

 

 *Scrubbing my floors...Ok, so I don't exactly do this, but I am thankful I don't have to! :)

 

 By the time I got to work this morning I was truly in a spirit of thankfulness...but still feeling a little bit down (think it was just the gloomy day in general). I was handed a package that had arrived for me in the mail from one of my besties.

 My friend Laura has run so many of my races with me and even the ones she can't run, she comes to be my cheer section and support runner. She always knows just what to say, doesn't scare easy, even when I have gone off the deep end and always finds a way to lift my spirits.


I eagerly opened my package:

Because she knows this is my first instinct ;)


...a million more!

My zero calorie chocolate bars...this is how you make a girl look forward to post-op recovery!

Everything about her little package warmed my heart! Never under estimate the power of kind words and chocolate!!!!  

I am blessed and thankful for the wonderful gift of friendship!


2 comments:

  1. Well this put a GIANT smile on my face this morning. I think back on all of the wonderful care packages and presents you have gotten me over the years, but the friendship is so much more than that. Very blessed!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :) ...umm, while cleaning my desk in preparation for being gone for two weeks, I came across the card I had planned on sending you at the beginning of last school year...ugh...not sure you got the better end of this friendship :/

      Delete